04 April 2007

Seriously, Isn't it time for Window XP Service Pack 3 ?


I just had to do a fresh install of Windows XP Pro for this awful effort at work I should not even be involved in. Luckily I had just downloaded a brand shiny new ISO of XP with SP2 slipstreamed into it from MSDN. Should be an easy install right ?

Round 1
Well, after the normal XP install I go over to update.microsoft.com like a good little IT boy. There were 88 required and 'optional' upgrades needed. Downloading them on the insanely fast work network and installing took about 90 minutes. Then I had to reboot.

Round 2
Another update yields 8 updates and 15 minutes. Reboot.

Round 3
Only 1 update and 5 minutes. Another reboot though.
The next update comes up clean!

Grand Total: 97 updates. 2 hours. 3 reboots.

This is just insane. Could Microsoft get off their ass and release SP3 some time before the product is end-of-life ? I didn't even have Office to worry about updating !

btw - what is with the KCRW music XP plays during the install these days ? Weird.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I advice you to integrate hotfixes using something like RyanVM's Windows XP Post-SP2 Update Pack
http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/